This is the third phase of my 100 Day Project on instagram. The project was was a bit more interesting after Day 59 as it contained a few different transitions. My goal was to push outside my comfort zone and try to come up with some new ideas. So some zinging from one idea to another did occur.
From #55 to #57, ovals were the focus, not much of a change from circles, but were fun to put together. Keeping the shape and the use of the grid simple allowed me to focus on the liquid clay veneers. Color combinations, patterns and accent colors. Fun and easy, but not a stretch.
The next two pieces, #58 and #59, played with using half-ovals. Clearly I was playing it safe. Again, these are fun and easy to play with and would make cute pendants.
But on #60 I decided to try something new. Here I create designs using liquid clay on the pieces after construction. While #60 pieces together veneers in coordinating colors, the liquid clay marks and patterns ties the design together. It was a small shift in thinking and I really liked this concept which needs further exploration.
Days #61 and #62 were created in an effort to send some hugs and kisses out into the world (and experiment with other shapes). I applied marks after construction using liquid clay for both of these pieces. These were fun to make and I feel they were fairly successful and whimsical.
Then I was thinking I hadn’t tried translucent clays during this 100 day project. I rarely work with them (not sure why), so I started by working on a veneer. Day 63 was a simple attempt to see how this veneer worked and I wanted the grid to show through the translucent clay. I gave the design a bit more thought on #64 and I added a little box to hold a heart on a chain. The color (cobalt blue) that I used for the back unfortunately made the translucent clay veneers a bit muddy, but the overall design I thought was creative.
Then I had another idea that focused on centering shapes within each grid opening. Day 65 used little yellow half spheres where I accented each with a black rim of liquid clay. Day 66 used a different shape, more like a leaf and raised them up to provide more texture.
Okay and then I hit one of the big transitions for this period. Instead of using the grid in simple square or rectangular shapes, I started to bend it in a radial shape. The next four days (#67 to #70) utilized this radial shape in full or half. The first try at this, #67, buried the radial grid within the clay, but I bent up prongs so that there is a three-dimension. My second attempt utilized the radial grid with petals covering each spoke. For day 69, the radial grid spokes were trimmed shorter and used for small accent beads. The last one in this series used only half circle. I brightened up the colors and patterns and used the spokes for small petal shaped beads.
The next idea was to manipulate the grid mesh to include dangles (#71 to #74). I started with a simple single dangle. Some day I will accept that less is often more! Then I went to three dangles. I went back to a surface technique I played with a few months ago and added a steel chain. I am particularly fond of this one. For Day 73 I went whimsical again and added six dangly hearts by turning the grid 45 degrees for an angle. Then I went all out for dangles, hanging them in each of the grid spaces for a little movement.
At this point I made a dramatic shift in the way I was applying color to the mesh grid. Up until now I was using liquid clay to paint the grid. While the liquid clay could provide a great color on the grid, it was clearly not a long-term solution. It would readily peal off with a little scratching. So I did some experiments. I tried a few options before I came upon the option of powder coating the grid mesh. Now that was a rabbit hole that deserves a completely separate post!!
So hold on for the last 26 days! I will be pushing harder than ever to ‘think outside the box’ and exercise my creative muscles. The primary goal will be to try new things, not necessarily make pretty things.