Okay, yesterday was a fantastic day! With everyone’s positive feedback, I was floating on air!! In fact, I woke up and was organized for the day ahead, ready to tackle my To-Do list. And I did. Samples were made and left to bake as I ran out the door for a few hours of errands. But as I was multitasking, thinking I was so ‘together’, I received a call from my husband. He asked if I left something baking. It was a rhetorical question. And a sinking feeling hit me.
He arrived at the house and opened the garage door as gray smoke and an awful smell hit him! What was left in the oven, located in the garage, was now something resembling charcoal. Things were not exactly burning, there were no flames. Smoldering might be a better word.
Last weekend was the annual retreat for the South Florida Jewelry Arts Guild. I taught a little polymer clay class and brought all my supplies, including my oven. In the move back to the garage, I never checked the settings. WHAT?!?!?! I know better than this. The knobs can easily be moved.
The feeling of ‘walking on sunshine’ was gone. Reality whacked me in the head. Distracted, yes, feeling more than a little ashamed that I didn’t catch those details, absolutely.
The polymer clay appears to have become molten and bubbled up. I am guessing the temperatures got to about 400 degrees F. I am glad no one was there to breathe the fumes. The bases were wooden components and I was actually able to salvage a couple after digging out the clay and sanding a bit!
Mistakes made, lessons learned. I hope someone else can learn from my mistakes. The first one is not to get such a big head . . . . . . the second is always, ALWAYS check your oven settings. Be safe out there my polymer clay friends!!